Collaboration with the late M. Paul Ward

 In May I got word that my dear friend and woodcarving mentor M. Paul Ward had passed.  

brief biography of Paul I wrote for Carving Magazine.  

Paul's family reached out to me to help them break down his workshop and prepare items from the workshop for donation to the New England Wood Carvers.  

The carving below had been started by Paul some time ago, possibly as far back as the 70s or 80s when this style of carving patterns were making the rounds.  A piece broke and I assume that Paul mended the break and it found it's way into the back of his shop until it was discarding during the cleanout.

I rescued the piece and with the permission of the family decided to finish it myself.  If you look closely you might spot the mended part.

It was quite therapeutic for me to finish something that Paul started.



2023 Walnut, polyurethane finish, personal collection

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fast Face Tutorial 2.1

Parthenon Griffon

Arts League of Lowell: Abstraction