Another sign for Pine Tree Studios

When my woodcarving mentor M. Paul Ward passed, the family asked my help in determining the disposition of many of the items in the shop.  Many of the items were donated to the New England Wood Carvers, but the reality is that in a workshop that was active for over 50 years there was an enormous quantity of "stuff" some of which landed in a dumpster as they prepared the house for sale.

One of the items I rescued from the dumpster was an unfinished piece.  It was composed of pieces of white cedar and basswood.  As I turned it over in my hands I saw Paul's pencil marks and could immediately see what he had in mind.

Over a weekend or two I completed the carving as Paul had intended and then carved Pine Tree Studios into the carving knife's handle.  I intend to use it as a sign.




2023 White Cedar and basswood.  Partially polychromed and finished with polyurethane.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fast Face Tutorial 2.1

Parthenon Griffon

Arts League of Lowell: Abstraction